Thursday, April 22, 2010

Biltmore Estate

One of the "must see" destinations in North Carolina is the Biltmore Estate. It is still the largest family owned estate in the United States. It is 125,000 acres! The house, if you can call it that, has 250 rooms, 34 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms and is ENORMOUS! One of our favorite rooms was the Banquet Hall. The ceiling in there was 7 stories high. It was done in a mid-evil theme and had a bunch of animal mounts. We asked the lady where they came from and I guess Mr. Vanderbilt bought them from someone in Washington state. There was an elk head that had the hugest spread. It was at least as wide as my out stretched arms but probably bigger than that. The antlers weren't real big around but it was soo wide.
The gardens were just getting colorful. I bet the Azaleas would have been beautiful if we went 1 week later. But the tulips were great and some of the trees were flowering.

Denzil got a bit worn out with all the walking around. He drools a lot and so his chin is kind of chaffed here because of that.


Another beautiful day and fun trip.

2 comments:

Elyse and Steve said...

That really is incredible! Now I really want to go and check it out. Thanks for posting pictures.

Laura Law said...

I thought that place was so cool. I hope you liked it and thought it worth the price.