So I guess it is time to tell the story of Ruby's birth. I woke up Monday morning (May 6) and when I went to the bathroom I saw that I was spotting. I thought I had had some contractions during the night but I wasn't paying too much attention to them. I called Kris to tell him that it might just have a baby that day. Then I called the doctor to see what I should do since I was spotting. She told me to time my contractions and when they got to 5 minutes apart for an hour or they got stronger then I should come on in to the hospital. So, I started keeping track and the contractions were all over the place! I'd have one at 5 minutes then the next one would be 10 or 12 minutes and it just kept doing that all day long. I went for a long walk when Kris came home and I'd have stronger contractions occasionally but when I got back home and sat down then they weren't bad anymore. After the kids went to bed I put a movie on and laid on the couch. I still kept track and they were about 8 minutes apart but were getting more uncomfortable. I was killing some time online and saw a story about someone giving birth on the side of I-15 and I thought "I don't want that to happen." About 2 am I started thinking about how the drive to the hospital is about 20 minutes from our house and thought that maybe it was time to get the show on the road. I woke Kris up and he took a shower and I tried to call our neighbor to see if she could watch the kids. After a couple of calls she heard the phone and we dropped the kids off and hopped in the car. As we were driving I told Kris that I thought I was too far along for getting an epidural. He told me not to push in the car and drove quickly to the hospital. When we pulled up and he went to get the wheelchair I told him to hurry up because the contractions were pretty intense and I was feeling lots of pressure. When we got to the nurses desk no one was there and I was starting to cry because of the pain. When the nurse came out from wherever she was she was walking kind of slowly and I kept thinking, hurry it up lady, this baby wants to come NOW. Kris filled out the paper work while the nurse took me to the triage room. I was starting to go numb all over and I had to have Kris help me undress cause I was really feeling the pressure now. When the nurse checked me to see how dilated I was she said "ready and bulging" and they quickly wheeled my bed into the delivery room right next door. I kept thinking about some of my friends and their birth stories that I had read recently and thinking how crazy it was that I was going to have a baby totally naturally. While they were trying to put the IV in the nurse kept asking me to relax my hand but I couldn't. My whole body was tingling and not responding to me. I was also very embarrassed because I would scream each time another contraction came and I couldn't control myself. I also couldn't keep myself from pushing even though they hadn't told me to yet. My water broke and a few minutes later I was pushing. It was pretty cool to feel the baby coming out and I have never been so relieved when she was out! Total time from Kris filling out the paper work to Ruby entering the world was about 25 minutes. It was interesting and I'm glad that I can say I had a baby totally naturally but I don't know that I want to do it that way again.
She weight 6 lbs 14 oz and was 19.75 inches long.Her first bath.
Proud siblings.
And proud Dad!





3 comments:
Wow, what a story! I'm glad you made it to the hospital and didn't have your little Ruby on the freeway. Congrats!!
Jenny, she is beautiful, that first picture of you and her is just perfect!! And we have very similar stories for our most recent baby girls... no laboring in a hospital bed is the way to go!
Wow! I'm glad it all went okay... If that's what you can call it. Glad you made it to the hospital and Ruby is healthy. What a beautiful baby!
Post a Comment